I have always been interested in close up or macro photography. It was a hobby I followed with my daughter, Sharon, from when she was about 9 years old. I had a “very large” camera, I think it was an Olympus and one you had to load with film. We took it everywhere with us, especially on nature walks through woods and forests, following rivers, around lakes and over moors and heaths. If you remember the late David Bellamy he was an inspiration to us and we would often “grub around” in the grass, leaves and soil looking for small things we had seen close up on his TV programmes. This led us to buy some macro rings that you fitted between camera and lens to allow you to get really close to something and still be able to focus. And that led us into the world of microscopic fungi, those tiny yellow, orange or red dots you often see on dead wood or trees. What is staggering is that many of these dots are mushroom shaped and you can only see that if you have a microscope or macro rings. Sadly we have lost the actual photos from those ramblings, no digital in those days, but our interest has persisted.
Macro photography can be very difficult without specialist equipment, the iPhone isn’t really geared up for it but there ARE small lenses you can clip onto the phone or use an app such as Camera+2. So, HOW CLOSE CAN YOU GO? That’s the challenge this week, try to discover the limits of your phone or digital camera, because if you don’t try you will never know! Here’s a few of my own, all done with iPhone except the last one and all from nature:
Last Week’s Roll of Honour #9 The kitchen
Thank you everyone
Can I please remind everyone to add the hashtag #challengeyourcamera to your posts, it helps me to search for all who’ve posted so I don’t miss anyone out. Also, image 2 in my own post was a knife sharpener, look closely and you will see the groove where the knife fits.
- Marilyn Unmasked
- That Travel Lady In Her Shoes
- Hops Skips and Jumps
- Now At Home
- Travel With Me
- Two Sisters Blog
- Musings of an Inconsistent Libyan
- View From The Back
- Philosophy Through Photography
- Mari’s Travels
- Touring My Backyard
Each week I am selecting a single theme to point my camera at or display a few photos from my collection as a way to brighten up the week as we enter a new year which we all hope will be brighter than the last. If you would like to join me in #challengeyourcamera then here’s what to do:
1. Follow me to discover the weekly theme I have chosen.
2. Select a few photos related to the week’s theme
3. Post your own photos that week, any day you like.
4. Include a caption with each photo so we know what/where it is
5. Include a link to my blog in your post so that I am notified and can follow you back
6. Add a pingback/link to YOUR post in the comment section of MY post on that weeks theme.
7. Include the tag #challengeyourcamera
1. I will follow you back
2. I will encourage other posters to follow you
3. I will list each blogger in my weekly post in arrears