The Museum of Modern Art introduces itself as “the place that fuels creativity, ignites minds, and provides inspiration. With extraordinary exhibitions and the worlds finest collection of modern and contemporary art, MoMA is dedicated to the conversation between the past and the present, the established and the experimental.” They are one of the top museums in America and probably the most visited museum in NYC. We visited here in May 2017 and found it to be one of the most “open spaced”, easy to walk around, photography friendly museums in the world.
MoMA Top Facts
- In the late 1920s, three progressive and influential patrons of the arts, Miss Lillie P. Bliss, Mrs. Cornelius J. Sullivan, and Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., perceived a need to challenge the conservative policies of traditional museums and to establish an institution devoted exclusively to modern art.
- MoMA was founded in 1929 as an educational institution
- Works of art from its collection are displayed in rotating installations so that the public may regularly expect to find new works on display.
- MoMA is committed to being the most engaging and welcoming museum in New York, and to bringing art and people together more effectively than ever before. A new building project will expand The Museum of Modern Art’s public spaces and galleries, allowing the Museum to reconceive the presentation of its collection and exhibitions and offer a more open, accessible, and engaging experience.
- Photography is allowed almost everywhere.